Just how to Look After Your Guinea Pig
Postado por Thiago, em 31/12/2019
Guinea pigs, also referred to as cavies, are friendly and pets that are inquisitive. Nevertheless, they require dedication and regular attention to ensure they continue to be healthy and delighted. Continue reading to learn simple tips to look after your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, are often tamed, and certainly will live for as much as 10 years. Their friendly nature means they are great animals. They’re also really smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest when kept along with other guinea pigs. But, when you do keep men and women together, make certain both pets will be the exact same intercourse or at minimum one sex is desexed.
RSPCA NSW doesn’t suggest maintaining guinea pigs and rabbits together. Rabbits can give conditions to guinea pigs, and so they might bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them healthier and delighted, they require:
- a continuing way to obtain high quality fresh lawn or lawn hay, such as for instance Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for using straight straight down their teeth that are continuously growing.
- fresh, leafy greens and herbs each day, such as for example broccoli, cabbage (in smaller amounts), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and lettuce that is dark-leafed; and natural natural herbs such as for instance basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Understand that carrot tops should simply be provided being a treat that is occasional.
- tiny degrees of top-quality guinea pig pellets. These must have the absolute minimum content that is fibre of %.
- an everyday way to obtain supplement C, such as for instance smaller amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a continuing supply of clean, fresh water
Try not to feed your guinea pig:
- morning meal cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily of this valley
- pea ukrainian dating sites pea nuts
- onion lawn
- potato tops
- natural beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require plenty of room to work out – the greater the greater. She should work out each and every day in a sizable, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made from untreated lumber to wear straight down her teeth, and overturned containers to full cover up in.
Everyday grooming is vital for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay in good shape. Regular management will additionally help build her self- confidence, and encourage her to be friendly and sociable.
Its also wise to check out the amount of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. When they are too much time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding methods may help prevent many health that is common, including breathing infections and epidermis dilemmas.
It is crucial to pay for a flyscreen to your guinea pig’s hutch. Carrying this out, in addition to maintaining her hutch clean, may help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are specially vulnerable to this disorder, and this can be deadly.
Guinea pigs, like the majority of animals, may also be at risk of fleas. Get hold of your veterinarian about a flea that is appropriate if required. They could additionally have problems with mite infestations, that could cause vexation, hair itchiness and loss.
This could be a sign of the fungal disease ringworm, so seek help from a veterinarian immediately if your guinea pig develops bald batches.
To learn more about typical health conditions, click the link.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure must certanly be one or more metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. They will need double this space if you have two guinea pigs. They are going to likewise require their very own, separate resting areas, which should be covered. You need to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, as this may help reduce steadily the danger of flystrike.
Line the hutch with newsprint and soft lawn hay to produce padding and steer clear of foot accidents. Don’t use sawdust, straw or lumber shavings. Keep in mind that your guinea pig requires a soft, clean, dry surface all the time, or she can quickly develop base issues. Clean her enclosure that is entire regularly along with her bedding whenever required – frequently as soon as just about every day.
Keep consitently the hutch in a sheltered area which will be well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from sunlight and strong winds. She should always get access to adequate color.
Click on this link to learn more about preventing heatstroke.